Yarn Chandelier {tutorial}

So, by now you have may already tried my tutorial that was so kindly featured on Hostess with the Mostess, however I wanted to have it for my little blog too and chose to wait for the blog makeover {pretty project = pretty blog}.

I remember the first time I saw one of these cute little spheres I knew this DIY project was moving straight to the top of my list. I will admit that they were messy and the cold winter weather in Maryland did not help the situation, but the result was well worth the effort. My goal was to create an affordable DIY dessert table backdrop that would inspire and leave people with their own visions of yarn chandeliers dancing in their heads. I am hoping my goal was a success. Give it a try, but you must promise to come back and share- the good, the bad and the messy.

Materials:
-Yarn
-School Glue
-Corn Starch
-Vaseline
-Dowel rod/pole for hanging
-Scissors
-Balloons
-Bowl for Mixing

Steps:

-Blow up Balloons:
I wanted various sized yarn chandeliers so I chose to incorporate a large punching balloon as my main focal point and added standard balloons for the surrounding areas. I only blew the standard balloons to approximately half capacity to keep as true of a circular shape as possible.

-Assemble work space:
Place a long pole or dowel rod between two chairs to create a DIY ‘drying station’. I highly recommend placing a plastic trash bag or disposable plastic tablecloth underneath where you will hang the balloons. I initially began this project outdoors, however wind became a factor and I was forced to relocate (not easy).

-Attach balloons to rod
Tie yarn around the stem of the balloon and hang from the dowel rod. Be sure that the balloon is suspended and not touching the surrounding balloons.

-Mixing:
Cover each balloon in a light coating of petroleum jelly. This ensures that the yarn will not stick to the balloon once it is dried and popped.
Next, mix the school glue (about half of the bottle) with approx. 1/2 cup of cornstarch and approx. 1/4 cup of water. I estimated these amounts and added more cornstarch and glue when desiring a thicker paste consistency.
Dip the yarn into the glue mixture, squeeze out excess, and begin wrapping around the balloon vertically and then switch to horizontally. Once you have covered a good part of your balloon, cut the yarn and tie to a surrounding piece. I chose to do this near the stem of the balloon so it would not be as obvious when hanging.

Drying/Popping:
Allow yarn chandeliers to hang for 24 hours in a dry, covered area. DO NOT attempt to shorten this process!
Next, pop the balloon (this is where I held my breath in anticipation). The yarn will also have dried glue crystals however they easily flake off when tapped.

Comments

1. Stacey says

I made these for my daughter about 4 years ago. They were so pretty and we added glitter to the mix (she was 2). Great to find this again.

2. mandy says

How cute!! I am doing a Relay for Life event-I think I will try this and try to suspend a glow stick/glow thing in it.

3. Maria says

I saw this done on Design on a Dime at Christmas. It’s great to have the actual instructions rather then trying to remember with my short-term memory. These would be a perfect decoration for my parent’s 50th Wedding Anniversary party! Thanks.

4. Becky says

Hi,
    These look so cute, and I tried to make them today with my son. However, I was left a little befuddled by the instructions. How big a bottle of school glue did you have? You said use about “half a bottle” but never mentioned how big the bottle was. I had a 4 oz bottle, and used half of that, but I’m not sure if it was enough. Also, how many balloons is this supposed to make? I know it depends on how big they are blown up, but roughly, how many? We tried to do 3, and I don’t think there was really enough paste to finish the last one.
    I’ll see for sure tomorrow when they dry, but I don’t think they turned out so well.
    However, they were fun (and pretty messy,but we did them outside) and I would definitely try doing it again.
    Thanks!

5. Kia Flowers says

I love this! I am a knitter and its hard to find yarn- themed party ideas. When I ask people they just give me the blank stare…so ty ty ty!!!

6. Kate says

Hi, these are pretty darn cute! I’m writing an article about DIY teen bedroom crafts and would love to feature your yarn chandeliers. We would give you full credit of course. If you are interested, please email me at katethompson777@gmail.com so I can give you the particulars. Thanks so much!

7. says

I made a few of these today in preparation for an upcoming 4oth B-Day party for my wife. We’ll see how they turn out, but they were much more challenging than I thought! Messy and the yarn kept sliding off of the balloons. Thanks for the tutorial though!

Trackbacks